Red Followers

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Red Hosts Open Mic at Hope 4 SATOBS Art Village

On May 12, I hosted a new open mic series at Hope 4 SATOBS Art Village on Luna Bliss. I was so excited to finally share the venue with the public, mostly friends. The Art Village, a part of the non-profit organization, Hope 4 SATOBS in SL, is a beautifully designed gathering space for writers, artists, musicians and anyone who's interested in exploring the arts. Similar to other readings that I host, I welcome all writers to join us and share their work. As a poet, I have a tendency to share more of my poetry than other writing. So for the Saturday series, I would love for more storytellers and microfiction writers to take the stage on Saturdays. It was great to hear work by Brokali, bonchance Longfall, Lycanthia, lloubras and many others. Lycanthia read a funny story she wrote at a recent dash with the word "ball" Let's just say there was a pre-apology to the gentlemen in the room before she started the reading. lol We were then treated to a solo debut by the awesome Carl Resident, who sang "This Land is your Land" a tribute to Woody Guthrie and a treat for us. Check out the lyrics on http://www.woodyguthrie.org


This Land Is Your Land
Words and Music by Woody Guthrie
This land is your land This land is my land
From California to the New York island;
From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and Me.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
I saw above me that endless skyway:
I saw below me that golden valley:
This land was made for you and me.

I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;
And all around me a voice was sounding:
This land was made for you and me.

I was singing along and I'm sure others were too. He has not picked up the guitar in more than a year.  Can you believe it? We wouldn't know if he didn't tell us. We have a cozy stage set up right on the pavilion across the main gallery in the Art Village. Anyone can grab the guitar and play their heart out or sing if they feel so moved.

After a few more readings, we ended the hour with some more stories from Brokali, our in-house Microfictionist. On Saturday, May 19, Brokali will debut his "Micro Hour" at the Art Village from 9:00-10:00am slt. He will share some of his most recent microfiction stories. You don't want to miss it. Stay tuned for notices for all upcoming open mics, live music and other Red affiliated events:)

No comments:

Post a Comment